The Cecilian Choir celebrated 40 years under the musical directorship of Sheriff Kevin Veal on the evening of 3rd June at St Andrew’s Cathedral, Dundee with a concert of sacred music.
The Cecilian Choir was founded in 1952 and since that time the position of the Choir’s Patron has be held by the Bishop of Dunkeld. Current Patron, Bishop Stephen Robson was in attendance and welcomed a large audience to the event.
Sheriff Veal took over as musical director of the Choir in 1975 having previously served the choir as both a singer and as accompanist. He followed in the footsteps of Miss Scully, Teresa Haughey, Mrs Sheila McCallum (nee McBride) and Michael McBride.
Sheriff Veal has led to the choir to great success both locally and internationally most notably to Rome in 1991 and again in 2008 singing on both occasions at St Peter’s Basilica and in 2000 to the Holy Land.
On the evening, the choir sang a selection of music chosen especially by Sheriff Veal including pieces by John Rutter, Mendelssohn and Edward Elgar.
Also performing on the night were soloists Jill Harrison (Soprano) and Kenneth Murray (Bass).
The choir was conducted by Sheriff Veal’s daughter, Mary, who is director of music at St Andrew’s Cathedral.
Sheriff Veal accompanied the choir from the organ.
A collection was taken at the end of the concert with over £800 being raised towards the Development Fund for St Joseph’s Home, Wellburn.