St Andrew’s pro-Cathedral, Dundee, was crowded with a sorrowing congregation on the occasion of Bishop MacFarlane’s funeral. From every part of Scotland priests came to pay tribute to the memory of one whom they loved and respected. The Cathedral was draped in black in every part, the vacant episcopal chair in its mourning trappings speaking eloquently of the departed Bishop. The coffin, polished oak, rested catafalque in front of the High Altar, and on it lay the Bishop’s silver chalice, his mitre and his stole, while beautiful floral tributes were distributed each side.
Pontifical High Mass was celebrated by Bishop Turner, of Dumfries, Dean M’Nairney (Patrick) acting as deacon, and Father Peter MacFarlane (Dalmuir), nephew of deceased prelate, sub-deacon. In the sanctuary on separate thrones were the Archbishop St Andrew’s and Edinburgh: coadjutor Archbishop Mackintosh (Glasgow); Bishop Chisholm (Aberdeen): Monsignor MacGregor, President Blair’s College, Aberdeen: Monsignor Nuanoy, Aberdeen; Monsignor Morris, Edinburgh ; all the Canons of Chapter, and a large body of priests. Canon Lavelle, Perth, and Father Brough, Dundee, were the masters-of ceremonies.
In beautiful language his Grace sketched the career of the late prelate, in which he referred to brilliant gifts intellect, his great learning, his keen business talents, his admirable powers of organisation and administration; yet withal he was unpretending and unassuming.
The funeral was one the largest and most imposing seen in Dundee for years, and during its progress through the streets to Balgay Cemetery, public interest and sympathy were shown the sympathetic crowds that lined the streets and by the closed business premises and blind-drawn windows.
The general mourners included Lord Provost Urquhart, Bishop Robberds, Primus Episcopal Church of Scotland; Colonel Dirk, Professor Stalkie, Colonel Stirling of Keir; Rev. Marshall U. Lang, Councillor Girrity, (to. The coffin was borne to the hearse by Bailie McCabe, Messrs. McCloy, McGovern, and McLaughlin, representative Catholic laymen.
Derry Journal, 4th October 1912
Angus MacFarlane (1843–1912) was a Scottish Roman Catholic clergyman who served as the Bishop of Dunkeld from 1901 to 1912.
Born in Spean Bridge, Lochaber, Scotland on 10 January 1843, he was ordained to the priesthood on 26 April 1868. He was appointed the Bishop of the Diocese of Dunkeld by the Holy See on 21 February 1901, and consecrated to the Episcopate on 1 May 1901. The principal consecrator was Archbishop James August Smith of St Andrews and Edinburgh, and the principal co-consecrators were Bishop William Turner of Galloway and Archbishop John Aloysius Maguire of Glasgow.
He died in office on 24 September 1912, aged 69.