Canon Matthews was Parish Priest of St Mungo’s from 1940 to 1976, when he retired. He died on 1st May 1978. Canon Matthews arrived in Alloa just after the Second World War had begun.
This had delayed the building of the new church, due to various restrictions and shortage of materials. Canon Matthews was not idle in this time though, as he manged through careful financial management along with the generosity of his parishioners to add to the £4000 in the building fund. By the end of the war, the fund stood at £60,000 and by 1955 plans had been drawn up for the site in Mar Street.
On 31st October 1959, the foundation stone for the new St Mungo’s was blessed by Bishop Hart, and two years later on 21st September 1961, the new church was consecrated by Bishop Hart. A happy day for Canon Matthews and his parishioners.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen